Dear MoveOn member,
I'm a conservative gun owner in Hampton Roads, Virginia, and I'm just heartsick about the nonstop school shootings across our country—a horrific 153 incidents since the Sandy Hook massacre.1 That's why I'm teaming up with MoveOn to call on President Obama to take immediate executive action to close a gaping loophole in our gun laws. Please click here to sign my petition urging President Obama to stop illegal gun sales.
Since the mass shooting at Umpqua Community College in Oregon, there have been eight more school shootings.2
Each year, countless numbers of guns are sold by unlicensed, high-volume sellers through Internet websites and at gun shows. Nearly a quarter of a million gun sales originate from one single website.3 Unlicensed sellers at gun shows often lure buyers by openly advertising guns for sale with prominent signage saying, "no paperwork necessary."4
President Obama is considering closing this background check loophole—which could be game-changing in keeping guns away from people who shouldn't have them.5
But the NRA is fighting back with inflammatory lies about the president's plan—even promoting a blog threatening "civil war" if the president moves forward.6
Enough is enough. I'm standing with the president to help give him the support he needs to act. Will you please join me?
1. "153 School Shootings In America Since 2013," Everytown for Gun Safety and Support Fund, last accessed October 31, 2015
3. "Beyond Gridlock: How White House Action on Gun Violence Can Save Lives," Everytown for Gun Safety, October 5, 2015
4. "Executive Action to Strengthen Background Checks by Addressing High-Volume Gun Sellers," Center for American Progress, October 15, 2015
5. "Obama weighs expanding background checks through executive authority," The Washington Post, October 8, 2015
6. "The NRA Is Promoting An Article Suggesting "Radical" Democrats Will Be Hanged After Starting A Civil War Over Gun Rights," Media Matters, October 21, 2015
You're receiving this petition because we thought it might interest you. It was created on MoveOn.org, where anyone can start their own online petitions. You can start your own petition here: http://www.moveon.org/r/?r=306934&id=134471-10220574-W9208Nx&t=6
Want to support our work? MoveOn member contributions have powered our work together for more than 17 years. Hundreds of thousands of people chip in each year—which is why we're able to be fiercely independent, answering to no individual, corporation, politician, or political party. You can become a monthly donor by clicking here, or chip in a one-time gift here.
This email was sent to eddie alfaro on October 31, 2015. To change your email address or update your contact info, click here. To remove yourself from this list, click here.